An appeal in the latest edition of Deseronto News and Views for historic images of the town has enabled the Archives to scan in a collection of old postcards that were lent to us by R.N. Goodfellow, a local resident.

This lovely coloured postcard of the Independent Order of Foresters’ orphanage on Foresters’ Island is one of these images. The orphanage was built by Dr. Oronhyatekha, a famous Mohawk who also had a house on the Island. (And one in Tyendinaga. And one in Toronto (he was a very successful man).) It opened in 1906 but closed in the following year: the year of Oronhyatekha’s own death.