Gazette notice about Deseronto light

GOVERNMENT NOTICES
——————
Notice to Mariners
No. 25 of 1885
DESERONTO LIGHT.
Notice is hereby given that a Lighthouse established by the Government of Canada, at Deseronto, on the Bay of Quinté, in the County of Hastings, Ontario, was put in operation on the opening of navigation this year.
Lat. N. 44° 11′ 15″
Long. W. 77° 2′ 0″
The light is fixed white, elevated 44 feet above the level of the Bay, and should be visible 11 miles from all points of approach seaward. The illuminating apparatus is dioptric, of small size, and the illuminant is gas.
The building is a square wooden tower surrounded by a projecting gallery and surmounted by a hexagonal lantern, erected on the roof of the freight shed of the Bay of Quinté Railway, near the outer end of the Company’s wharf at Deseronto. Both shed and tower are painted brown. The height of the lantern vane above the wharf is 45 feet.
The light will guide to Deseronto from the directions of Belleville, Picton and Napanee.
Wm. Smith
Deputy Minister of Marine
Department of Marine
Ottawa, 29th August, 1885 12-3

Advertisements